COMMENT: Lyn of Littleport by Lyn Gibb-de Swarte
- Credit: Archant
Littleport has burst into bloom this month; In fact, “June is bustin’ out all over!” as the old song warbles happily from the 50s film Carousel.
And our otherwise austere looking streets and no-nonsense proletarian architecture in the older, main part of the village, is now softened by lush greenery and myriad shrubs and flowers. Most of the many new-builds, with their nod towards the Prince Regent, are a little less dour-faced, but are still more improved by June’s bounty.
We do like our flowers though all year round, so indoor arrangements of every season’s plants are a must!
To this end, Littleport’s Flower Club has regular third-Friday-of-the-month meetings at the village hall that are always well-attended. Not surprising as it’s only £5, including refreshments, in friendly company. This Friday, June 16 at 7pm, the demonstrator and speaker is popular flower arranging expert, Brenda Tubb.
If you want to find out more, do ring Pam Hayes, its chairman, on 01353 860102 or Pam Sole, club secretary on 01353 863421.
The Littleport Women’s Institute, WI for short, is still trying to get William Blake’s ideal Jerusalem built here as per its anthem, and as I see it, on the basis that all good things begin with us as individuals, as well as concerning themselves macrocosmically with issues of national, and global, importance to women, microcosmically they have a craft afternoon every 3rd Tuesday. So the next one is on June 20 at 2pm in the village hall.
They have interesting speakers too on the second Tuesday evening of every month at 7.15pm. Call Pat Ollive on 01353 864830.
- 1 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 2 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 3 Man facing eviction fears 'absolute disaster' despite council help
- 4 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 5 Woman who twice ignored 'no fly tipping' signs faces two fines
- 6 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 7 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 8 'Cuckooing' drug dealer caught with cocaine to the value of £3,670
- 9 Army assault course brought back to former glory at Waterbeach Barracks
- 10 Lorna’s successful plea to remove £3 shower charge for disabled visitors to The Hive
For both men and women, there are plenty of leisure-time activities this week. Apart from the regular sport and fitness orientated sessions at Littleport Leisure Centre, call 01353 860600, on Saturday they have prize bingo. Then there’s Karaoke at the Plough and Harrow at 9pm, Gemini from 9pm til late at the Crown Inn, and Rockin’ Revival at the Ex-Servicemen’s Club at 8.45 til late for a fiver, or six pounds for welcome non-members. Venturing forth to Brandon Creek, the Ship Inn hosts the ‘Up the Creek’ Beer Festival that starts Friday, and on the Saturday, it has a BBQ and live music.
Sunday afternoon 3-6pm at the Crown, you can enjoy the excellent singer/guitarist Bondy.