CHRISTMAS MESSAGES 2012: Many highlights in 2012 for East Cambridgeshire’s residents
AS we get ready to celebrate Christmas, I like to take time to reflect on some of the things which the District Council has been involved with for the benefit of East Cambridgeshire.
Let me start with the wonderful arrival of the Paralympic Lantern to Ely in the summer. The Riverside and Jubilee Gardens were packed with residents and visitors keen to the Flame as it reached Ely via a flotilla of boats from past and present. The key to the success of the day was how we worked with our partners to create such a fantastic occasion.
Working together has been a theme throughout 2012 as we have launched ShapeYourPlace, promoted the need of superfast broadband and developed our Local Plan all in conjunction with others.
This reached its height this autumn, when we were in charge for the election of the first Police & Crime Commissioner for Cambridgeshire. This was a significant logistical challenge involving many people and authorities and I am pleased to say we delivered it with great style, panache and efficiency.
It was also in the last month that we heard we had been awarded nearly �5million to help improve the waste and recycling service in East Cambridgeshire. This was great news and fine recognition of the hard work of officers and councillors to submit a successful bid.
You may also want to watch:
These are just a few of the things from the past year – I could easily have chosen many, many more examples. To me, they highlight what officers and councillors do every day as we strive to deliver for our residents. All of us are driven to help – to make a difference to people’s lives.
As we now stand on the edge of 2013 and look forward to all the things we have planned, may I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- 1 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 2 Tributes paid to school matron who died from Covid-19
- 3 Policing stepped up to tackle criminal damage and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 5 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 6 Health scare inspired slimmer’s incredible 10 stone weight loss
- 7 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 8 Councillor Bill, 75, says Covid-19 jab was 'perfect'
- 9 Road closed and residents without water due to burst water main
- 10 Student defies challenges of pandemic to achieve first class degree