Check the facts
IN February, the district council agreed to find a car park site near to Ely Railway Station. I, as then local Liberal Democrat leader, co-wrote a motion with the local Conservative leader; he and I jointly proposed it. I included the idea of having a Sat
IN February, the district council agreed to find a car park site near to Ely Railway Station. I, as then local Liberal Democrat leader, co-wrote a motion with the local Conservative leader; he and I jointly proposed it.
I included the idea of having a Saturday park-and-ride service and to use compulsory purchase powers to improve more direct links to the station. There was no vote on a particular site at that time and the Lib Dems continue to prioritise the use of planning-gain monies to get the railway to develop car parking plans as part of a transport interchange. However, the railway continues to drag its feet. This has not been the only car park the Lib Dems have proposed at council.
Councillors were right to ask a second committee to scrutinise the site suddenly chosen at last month's Environment and Transport Committee meeting. Do the public expect a committee to jump suddenly to spend £1 million of its money without advance work by council staff preparing details and councillors having time to scrutinise and debate? The risk of the scheme will fall on the council tax payer. Extra unconsidered changes would be needed to parking rules to the length of stay in the free Barton Road Car Park which is only a further four-minute walk from the station ticket office than the proposed new charged parking site at Angel Drove/Bartholomews Walk.
It was for these reasons that ALL the Scrutiny Committee, including the four Conservatives and the Independent councillors, voted unanimously to refer the decision back for careful reconsideration.
You may also want to watch:
I suggest that the Ely Traders' Association and former Conservative candidates such as Ron Bradney should halt their use of immoderate language and spin and check their facts about council business before sounding off in the future.
- 1 BBC camera crews hosted by Ely Business Park during Boat Race
- 2 Wildlife-loving boy, 9, saves six abandoned ducklings
- 3 Sheep saved after taking short-cut on busy rail line
- 4 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 5 More anti-Semitic graffiti appears in Ely
- 6 Bodybuilding world champion raises £540 ahead of charity beauty pageant
- 7 'We plotted our downfall' admits boss after five-goal cup thriller
- 8 Artist's poignant painting in memory of HRH Prince Philip
- 9 Charity chief executive raises £646 by running 252 miles in 71 days
- 10 ‘The Duke of Edinburgh’s security team wouldn’t let him ride our tandem...’
Liberal Democrat district councillor