Change of date helps undermine tradition
I COMPLETELY agree with the correspondence suggesting November 11 is an inappropriate date for the annual fireworks display, but for a different reason. The fact is that November 5 is Guy Fawkes Night – not the 11th, or the 7th, or the 4th. As the sayin
I COMPLETELY agree with the correspondence suggesting November 11 is an inappropriate date for the annual fireworks display, but for a different reason.
The fact is that November 5 is Guy Fawkes' Night - not the 11th, or the 7th, or the 4th. As the saying goes, 'Remember Remember the Fifth of November' - not 'Remember Remember the Fifth of November or whatever nearest weekend people want to shift it to.'
The fact is that in recent years Bonfire Night has been eclipsed in popularity by an American version of Halloween (which bears no resemblance to the original pagan event) and this is partly because hardly anyone now observes it on the Fifth (yet no-one ever suggests moving Halloween to another date!).
I know the Round Table claim that, by holding it a week later, they make more money for charity but personally I doubt this is true to any significant extent.
You may also want to watch:
Instead, by continually shifting the date they are actually helping to undermine a great tradition which could potentially hasten its decline.
November 5th is the anniversary we are
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 5 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 6 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 7 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 8 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 9 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 10 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
celebrating - so let's celebrate it on November 5th!