Can we please have realistic debate about alternatives to proposed Ely bypass
- Credit: Archant
THE proposed Ely bypass route B saga rumbles on, with the proposal now backed by a virtual reality tour which shows just how significant the earth ramparts and bridge structure would be in the flat landscape.
One thing missing from the visualisation is a realistic soundtrack. Anyone thinking of using the proposed walkway would do well to walk along the road to Stuntney if they want to get the full effect of heavy commercial traffic two metres away from their ears.
Two other options have been costed, a deepened underpass at similar cost and a more remote tunnelled bypass under the railway but using the existing river bridge, which is more expensive.
It may be that over the lifetime of this road that a commitment to the historic landscape might be of more value than money saving now.
If this road is really needed can we at least have a realistic debate about viable alternatives?
You may also want to watch:
Can we please have some genuine ambition for our city and follow the lead of the district council, which states in the draft local plan that it wants to “protect and enhance the setting of the town and retain and enhance key views of Ely cathedral”.
CLLR IAN ALLEN
- 1 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 2 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 3 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 4 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 5 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 6 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 7 East Cambridgeshire is ‘home to the noisiest neighbours in the country’
- 8 Three hare coursers - with three children and three dogs in car - fined for damaging crops
- 9 Care home still 'requires improvement'
- 10 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer