Can we please have realistic debate about alternatives to proposed Ely bypass
- Credit: Archant
THE proposed Ely bypass route B saga rumbles on, with the proposal now backed by a virtual reality tour which shows just how significant the earth ramparts and bridge structure would be in the flat landscape.
One thing missing from the visualisation is a realistic soundtrack. Anyone thinking of using the proposed walkway would do well to walk along the road to Stuntney if they want to get the full effect of heavy commercial traffic two metres away from their ears.
Two other options have been costed, a deepened underpass at similar cost and a more remote tunnelled bypass under the railway but using the existing river bridge, which is more expensive.
It may be that over the lifetime of this road that a commitment to the historic landscape might be of more value than money saving now.
If this road is really needed can we at least have a realistic debate about viable alternatives?
You may also want to watch:
Can we please have some genuine ambition for our city and follow the lead of the district council, which states in the draft local plan that it wants to “protect and enhance the setting of the town and retain and enhance key views of Ely cathedral”.
CLLR IAN ALLEN
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 3 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 4 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 5 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 6 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 7 Hundreds sign petition in support of pub's cup of positivi-tea
- 8 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 9 Post-Latitude covid has made me realise pandemic has a long way to go
- 10 10-year-old's sponsored hair cut for Little Princess Trust