Can we please have realistic debate about alternatives to proposed Ely bypass
- Credit: Archant
THE proposed Ely bypass route B saga rumbles on, with the proposal now backed by a virtual reality tour which shows just how significant the earth ramparts and bridge structure would be in the flat landscape.
One thing missing from the visualisation is a realistic soundtrack. Anyone thinking of using the proposed walkway would do well to walk along the road to Stuntney if they want to get the full effect of heavy commercial traffic two metres away from their ears.
Two other options have been costed, a deepened underpass at similar cost and a more remote tunnelled bypass under the railway but using the existing river bridge, which is more expensive.
It may be that over the lifetime of this road that a commitment to the historic landscape might be of more value than money saving now.
If this road is really needed can we at least have a realistic debate about viable alternatives?
Can we please have some genuine ambition for our city and follow the lead of the district council, which states in the draft local plan that it wants to “protect and enhance the setting of the town and retain and enhance key views of Ely cathedral”.
CLLR IAN ALLEN
- 1 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 2 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 3 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 4 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 5 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 6 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 7 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 8 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 9 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 10 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’