Cameras don’t work that well’
RECENTLY in your esteemed newspaper, a story was published regarding an award given to the personnel who operate the CCTV system in the Soham and Ely areas. I am somewhat confused as it is my understanding that in the last few months there have been, unde
RECENTLY in your esteemed newspaper, a story was published regarding an award given to the personnel who operate the CCTV system in the Soham and Ely areas.
I am somewhat confused as it is my understanding that in the last few months there have been, under full view of all the CCTV cameras in High Street and Churchgate Street, several incidents. Strange daylight sights that would merit looking at and would certainly alert a camera operative as being slightly out of the ordinary.
The reality is, victims have been given many excuses, including the cameras not working, pointing the other way, or the operatives cannot see clearly.
I am a frequent observer to local youths jumping on and off a bus shelter most weekends under clear view of two cameras, one of which is five metres away from the shelter for long periods of time.
You may also want to watch:
There has been fighting in the middle of the street, and people who are clearly the worst for drink, dancing and dodging cars in the middle of the road.
There has been no intervention by the local police force, so clearly the system is failing and cannot cope.
- 1 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 2 Not breaking news: Vicar has lucky escape, station closes and hotel sold
- 3 A10 speed limit reduced at Waterbeach after death of baby Louis Thorold
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 6 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 7 Man jailed for abusive rampage against ex-partner
- 8 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 9 Mayor fumes over ‘amateur’ foster carers claim
- 10 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
I know many residents who look at Soham's CCTV as less than effective. Perhaps someone can enlighten me on the effectiveness of the system as my own personal experience of Soham's and Ely's CCTV is far from satisfactory.