Brownfield site with better transport links is still an option for Ely cinema
SARAH Ratcliffe suggested that a clear preference was stated for the A10/Downham Road option for Ely cinema.
However, a third of respondents (about 50 people less) also voted for the brownfield site near the railway station.
This site still gives access for pedestrian/cycle access from the town centre and residential areas nearby whilst also allowing rail access from nearby areas such as Littleport without resorting to the car, which Downham Road would rely on.
Any traffic issues will be solved with the medium-term solution of the bypass coming to fruition and it should be an essential part of the station gateway plan (whatever that may be at present).
Public votes are an important indication but surely councillors are elected to provide more unbiased expert guidance for the long-term good of the area?
This I believe would point towards a brownfield site with better overarching transport links by the station rather than the proposed greenfield site that happens to be owned by the council.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 3 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 4 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 5 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 8 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 9 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 10 Corporal lines up world record 135km paddleboard trek for 'gleaming' Bobby