Brownfield site with better transport links is still an option for Ely cinema
SARAH Ratcliffe suggested that a clear preference was stated for the A10/Downham Road option for Ely cinema.
However, a third of respondents (about 50 people less) also voted for the brownfield site near the railway station.
This site still gives access for pedestrian/cycle access from the town centre and residential areas nearby whilst also allowing rail access from nearby areas such as Littleport without resorting to the car, which Downham Road would rely on.
Any traffic issues will be solved with the medium-term solution of the bypass coming to fruition and it should be an essential part of the station gateway plan (whatever that may be at present).
Public votes are an important indication but surely councillors are elected to provide more unbiased expert guidance for the long-term good of the area?
You may also want to watch:
This I believe would point towards a brownfield site with better overarching transport links by the station rather than the proposed greenfield site that happens to be owned by the council.
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 3 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 4 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 5 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 6 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 7 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 8 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 9 Superb acting, singing and dancing at KD Theatre musical
- 10 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing