Board claims rejected
WHILE it is regrettable if some shop owners were unaware they required permission to place advertising signs on public pavements and, apparently, did not receive a warning prior to their removal, I must reject Cllr Bradney s claim that the removal of A-bo
WHILE it is regrettable if some shop owners were unaware they required permission to place advertising signs on public pavements and, apparently, did not receive a warning prior to their removal, I must reject Cllr Bradney's claim that the removal of A-boards in Ely is "political" and a "hijack". This is pure hyperbole.
Does he seriously expect opposition councillors to be intervening to prevent county council departments from doing their job and enforcing Government directives?
If he really believes it is so "political" then I suggest he takes it up with his friends in the Tory cabinet of the county council, as they must have sanctioned this county-wide initiative which doesn't just effect Ely.
As a councillor, he should really know better than to make ill-judged outbursts to the Press simply to try to score petty party political points.
Speaking of which, Cllr Powley's claim the previous week that I had not followed up on the issue of consultants really does take the biscuit!
When he wrote this he must have been aware that I had already tabled the same question to the council again on the matter, and that an extensively corrected and revised new answer was being drawn up on his behalf as the cabinet member responsible.
- 1 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 2 Fire crews called to car fire on railway line
- 3 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 4 Councillor quits as voters get set for two Ely by-elections
- 5 Car rolled in crash on A14
- 6 MP officially begins new era for major UK supplier
- 7 Man jealous of ex-wife's new relationship burnt down house
- 8 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 9 Drink-driver 'almost hit police car' in crash
- 10 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
Though, I must admit, Cllr Powley's rather lame attempts at political point-scoring are always "amusing" and, personally, I regard it as a badge of honour to be the lucky target!
Liberal Democrat county councillor
(Ely North & East)