Birds Eye View: Mad dogs and Englishmen
IF you managed to get tickets for the Mad Dogs and Englishmen performance at Ely Cathedral on Saturday night I m sure you will agree that is was a triumph. A triumph of all things English, yes, but also a triumph of all things Ely. I can t think of a more
IF you managed to get tickets for the Mad Dogs and Englishmen performance at Ely Cathedral on Saturday night I'm sure you will agree that it was a triumph. A triumph of all things English, yes, but also a triumph of all things Ely. I can't think of a more fitting setting than Ely Cathedral to hear some beautifully-read Shakespeare, Rupert Brooke, Kipling and even Bill Bryson.
My personal favourites were Come Into the Garden Maud read by June Whitfield and sung by the beautiful baritone voice of Richard Clover. Roger Lloyd Pack's reading from Bill Brysons's Notes from a Small Island made we want to read the book again and John Challis's take on Noel Coward's Mad Dogs and Englishmen was wonderful. The music came from the City of Cambridge Brass Band, and the Ely Cathedral Choir and Ely Imps under the watchful eye of musical director Paul Trepte who never fails to deliver. The production was devised and directed by Roger Redfarn who should be highly congratulated for bringing the whole thing together with great style and aplomb. The event will also have raised a decent amount of money for the Stars Foundation, which raises awareness of Cerebral Palsy, and the Ely Cathedral Trust, which all in all made this a night to remember.
IF you are at a loose end this Bank Holiday weekend, don't forget that you can pop along to Oliver Cromwell House on Saturday and take a step back to the 17th Century for a Living History Day. You can have a chat with 'Mrs Cromwell's servant' about what's she might be serving her master for dinner, or why not join the great Oliver Cromwell 'hero or villain' debate.
Whatever you do this Bank Holiday weekend have fun and if you want some ideas for places to visit and things to do why not check out our listings section on Pages 33 and 34.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 2 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 3 Ely Cathedral's Covid-19 vaccination centre application was turned down
- 4 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 5 Letter: Why not use Ely Cathedral as a vaccination centre?
- 6 Nobody home as police force entry after reports of drugs activity
- 7 Fight with weapons outside gym leaves two people seriously injured
- 8 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 9 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 10 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years