LETTER: ‘The pillar’ of the community that is the Ely Standard
- Credit: Archant
I speak as a local politician who is under ‘house arrest’ being over 70.
We all recognise the sterling work being done by so many in our society and I suspect we all clap at our door at 8pm Thursdays as a very small way of saying ‘thank you’.
I don’t think enough credit is given to the staff of local councils, the ‘bin’ people, the posties, the newspaper deliverers and the doorstep milk people.
This group restore some sanity in my life so... ‘thank you’.
There is one other solid ‘rock’ that gives me a feeling that I still belong to this world.
You may also want to watch:
Every Thursday, rain or shine, the Ely Standard drops through my letterbox.
It may not always be accurate, it may not always have got the facts straight... BUT it’s there and full of local news.
- 1 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 4 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 5 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 6 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 7 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 8 Hundreds sign petition in support of pub's cup of positivi-tea
- 9 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 10 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
A big ‘thank you’ to John Elworthy and his team who work so hard to produce the goods every week.
Life would be a little poorer without them.
BILL HUNT, county and district councillor