Better use of facilities
I AM a newcomer to Soham and not aware of the historical background regarding the provision of the former church hall. I know it to be an eyesore and question whether it is better to invest in this site, to secure the long-term future of St Andrew s Churc
I AM a newcomer to Soham and not aware of the historical background regarding the provision of the former church hall. I know it to be an eyesore and question whether it is better to invest in this site, to secure the long-term future of St Andrew's Church that provides both an essential community facility and a focal point of our town.
I understand that some £300,000 is needed just to repair the church roof and consequently feel that the right decision has been made by the church. What should now be happening is for efforts to be made to ensure greater community use of the church and its facilities.
I don't think it is helpful to create a 'them and us' situation, especially the remark reported in your paper about "churches and townies".
This brought to mind the wonderful story of Clochmerle, which was set in rural France and involved the battle between the church and local council and their decision to construct a urinal outside the church.
The battles that followed, spilt the community and encouraged demonstrations, similar to those we are seeing in Soham.
From this might I suggest that perhaps the best solution will be to encourage the development of the church hall site but to include a urinal within it.
- 1 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 2 Baby murder accused 'didn't say much' after life support withdrawn
- 3 Mara is Ely Standard Pet of the Year - voted for by you
- 4 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 5 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 6 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body
- 7 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 8 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 9 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 10 For Worship & Glory II exhibition coming to Ely Cathedral
This could relieve the growing pressure that some people appear to be experiencing.
St Andrew's House
St Andrew's Park