Best spot for recycling
I WRITE in response to the proposed recycling centre at Witchford and the long-term strategy for mineral and waste facilities in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough. Surely, the most sensible solution would be to house it at Grunty Fen, which is already a rec
I WRITE in response to the proposed recycling centre at Witchford and the long-term strategy for mineral and waste facilities in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
Surely, the most sensible solution would be to house it at Grunty Fen, which is already a recycling area.
- The roads leading to Grunty Fen from the A10 will eventually have to upgraded.
- The area did not flood in 1947 so it is not a strong issue.
- It is at some distance from houses (surely a desirable factor).
Against the proposed site:
- 1 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 2 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 3 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 4 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 5 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 6 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 7 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 8 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 9 Everything you need to know about Ely Cathedral's Christmas Gift & Food Fair 2021
- 10 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- It will be an eyesore - as the current buildings are at present. Sensible planning should plant evergreen trees and shrubs to keep the slightly raised area a scene of beauty (not a series of large barren sheds that are being permitted at present). A recycling centre would exacerbate current difficulties.
- The farmland with its wildlife should be maintained.
- The proposed access road could not possibly cope with increased traffic - the road is already congested and vehicle emission and noise will increase. It is already a dangerous road for Witchford villagers to cycle to Ely.
The Isle of Ely as a green and pleasant island and the city of Ely surrounded by pleasant villages like Witchford is surely worthy of preserving.
Filling access roads with large vehicles transporting rubbish is not the way forward.