Battle To Stop Fens Going To Rack and Ruin
YOUR correspondent, Mr Gibbs, is right in only one respect: it is quite true that I own only a few acres of croppable Fen land. I should point out, however, through the hundreds of people who have signed the on-line SaveOurFens E-Petition to 10 Downing
YOUR correspondent, Mr Gibbs, is right in only one respect: it is quite true that I own only a few acres of croppable Fen land. I should point out, however, through the hundreds of people who have signed the on-line 'SaveOurFens' E-Petition to 10 Downing Street - http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/SaveOurFens/ - I know that I am in alliance with the owners and/or farmers of many thousands of acres of food-producing land, land which is needed now and will be needed more as the populations of Great Britain and the world continue to grow. Mr Gibbs might do me the kindness of acknowledging this unless, of course, he thinks it right for us to go on importing as much food as we do today.
I am also battling on behalf of those local folk who don't want our Fens to go to rack and ruin under the National Trust's rule, when what isn't under water would be a mass of brambles, elder bushes, ragwort, stinging nettles and thistles. I and my friends and supporters won't give up under any form of fire.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 3 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 4 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 5 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 6 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 7 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 8 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 9 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 10 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online