Balancing the boat report
I WAS puzzled and dismayed by the cynical tone of Journeyman Jones report on the Boat Race Bash in the Ely Standard on April 6. Whether this reporter appreciates it or not, Ely and its river Great Ouse have a long-standing and historic connection with ro
I WAS puzzled and dismayed by the cynical tone of Journeyman Jones report on the Boat Race Bash in the Ely Standard on April 6.
Whether this reporter appreciates it or not, Ely and its river Great Ouse have a long-standing and historic connection with rowing and the Oxford-Cambridge University Boat Race.
The Isle of Ely Rowing Club has done a great job in continuing this tradition by establishing a new club from nothing over the last two years. They deserve credit for putting on a good event to publicise these new opportunities.
Ely Sailing Club was also represented and had a display at the event. A brand new Topper dinghy was there, which had been bought following a Local Network Fund grant. This is part of a youth training programme for which the grant was awarded, along with an Awards for All grant, which will allow the club to purchase a new rescue boat. It is also our Diamond Jubilee this year, having been established as a sailing club since 1946.
You may also want to watch:
I think that the local community would have been interested in learning how active the Ely Rowing and Sailing Clubs are and would have appreciated a more knowledgeable, positive and balanced report.
- 1 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 2 City’s first Asian grocery store coming to market place
- 3 Fire crews tackling woodland blaze carried pump and equipment 200 metres
- 4 Popular food delivery service Deliveroo launches in city this week
- 5 Throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 6 Transformation of empty offices into luxury flats well under way
- 7 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 8 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 9 Residents ‘left without a voice’ over anti-social car park behaviour
- 10 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
Rear Commodore, Ely Sailing Club