Balancing the boat report
I WAS puzzled and dismayed by the cynical tone of Journeyman Jones report on the Boat Race Bash in the Ely Standard on April 6. Whether this reporter appreciates it or not, Ely and its river Great Ouse have a long-standing and historic connection with ro
I WAS puzzled and dismayed by the cynical tone of Journeyman Jones report on the Boat Race Bash in the Ely Standard on April 6.
Whether this reporter appreciates it or not, Ely and its river Great Ouse have a long-standing and historic connection with rowing and the Oxford-Cambridge University Boat Race.
The Isle of Ely Rowing Club has done a great job in continuing this tradition by establishing a new club from nothing over the last two years. They deserve credit for putting on a good event to publicise these new opportunities.
Ely Sailing Club was also represented and had a display at the event. A brand new Topper dinghy was there, which had been bought following a Local Network Fund grant. This is part of a youth training programme for which the grant was awarded, along with an Awards for All grant, which will allow the club to purchase a new rescue boat. It is also our Diamond Jubilee this year, having been established as a sailing club since 1946.
You may also want to watch:
I think that the local community would have been interested in learning how active the Ely Rowing and Sailing Clubs are and would have appreciated a more knowledgeable, positive and balanced report.
- 1 Hundreds sign petition in support of pub's cup of positivi-tea
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 6 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 7 Photographer Dan flies high after winning national competition
- 8 Handcuffed duo prepare to make London Marathon history
- 9 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?
- 10 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
Rear Commodore, Ely Sailing Club