Attitude really bugs me
I HAD a very unpleasant experience when I came to Ely last Thursday. Being disabled, I have used the Shopmobility Scheme since it was introduced in Ely. These buggies have given many disabled people a new lease of life, they can be independent, without ha
I HAD a very unpleasant experience when I came to Ely last Thursday.
Being disabled, I have used the Shopmobility Scheme since it was introduced in Ely. These buggies have given many disabled people a new lease of life, they can be independent, without having to rely on others.
I was in a particular shop looking round when this very irate lady spoke to me saying "those things (meaning the buggy) ought to be scrapped, they're lethal, they have already killed someone and knocked people over".
I was gobsmacked (not a word I like to use), but I did say to her: "If I could walk as well as you I wouldn't need to use one."
You may also want to watch:
It wasn't until I was driving home that I felt so angry, to think I was being discriminated against because I am disabled.
Does this lady think that disabled people should stay at home waiting for the Grim Reaper to call? Well I, for one, will not. None of us know what is round the next corner and I intend to enjoy life while I can. So I hope all you disabled people out there will continue to use your buggies and agree with me that the lady in question should look in the mirror and say "There, but for the grace of God, go I."
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 3 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 4 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 5 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 6 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 7 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 8 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 9 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 10 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online