A THOUGHT occurred with the news that Ely wants to be part of the 2012 Olympics. With only six years to go they had better get building fast. If the example of the new stadium at Wembley is anything to go by, they had better break ground tomorrow if they
A THOUGHT occurred with the news that Ely wants to be part of the 2012 Olympics.
With only six years to go they had better get building fast. If the example of the new stadium at Wembley is anything to go by, they had better break ground tomorrow if they want a bike shed, let alone anything bigger.
The continuing saga of the Paradise Pool doesn't actually fill you with hope, either. On reflection, the Paradise Pool on-off-closed-open story would seem to say that, using the Wembley example, Ely is the exact place for the Olympics.
There were lots of blokes getting wet and tired on the Thames at the weekend when the Oxford University foreign rowers beat the Cambridge University foreign rowers. There were men from Germany, Tasmania, Canada and the United States and a few from these shores, I believe.
You may also want to watch:
Germans, Australians and people from the New World are all very well, but if you are going to use people from abroad to row boats, surely there is only one place to recruit.
Next year, I shall expect to see the Cambridge boat crewed entirely by people whose history is based around rowing.
- 1 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 4 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 5 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 6 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 7 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 8 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 9 Hundreds sign petition in support of pub's cup of positivi-tea
- 10 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
Next year, I shall expect the Cambridge crew to be made up of Vikings.