Arts cuts are truly depressing
I HAD just finished reading your cover story about arts budget cuts in East Cambridgeshire and, as a supporter of the arts in all their forms, I was feeling properly indignant at the scale and apparent political motivation for these cuts. Seen in the cont
I HAD just finished reading your cover story about arts budget cuts in East Cambridgeshire and, as a supporter of the arts in all their forms, I was feeling properly indignant at the scale and apparent political motivation for these cuts. Seen in the context of the overall budget of East Cambridgeshire, £70,000 is a miniscule saving, but in the already meagre arts budget is a severe blow.
I then turned to page 11, where I found the story about the unveiling of the much-derided 'sluice' sculpture. This sculpture, in the form of a sluice gate (which we can see all over the fens, and containing recorded images and sounds of a river, sited next to - wait for it - a river) was funded by East Cambridgeshire to the extent of £27,000. It cost an estimated £127,000 in total, of which, according to the artist, £42,000 was spent on consultation.
Does ADeC not see how it makes itself an easy target by pursuing such absurd and costly projects?
We would all like a lively and creative arts programme in East Cambridgeshire, and to see good projects put in jeopardy and such easy ammunition provided to those who see no value in such things is truly depressing.
MICHAEL EDWARDS, Victoria Street, Littleport
- 1 Petition launched to save village pub
- 2 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 3 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 4 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 5 Father accused of baby girl's murder 'had short fuse and made things up'
- 6 Unearthed treasures to be displayed outside British Museum for first time
- 7 'Our dog was our motivation’ - couple behind organic dog treats business
- 8 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 9 Izzy, 16, bids to kickstart female football revolution with new team
- 10 Disciplinary action against anti-Pride pastor ‘never, ever about his religion’