Arts cuts are truly depressing
I HAD just finished reading your cover story about arts budget cuts in East Cambridgeshire and, as a supporter of the arts in all their forms, I was feeling properly indignant at the scale and apparent political motivation for these cuts. Seen in the cont
I HAD just finished reading your cover story about arts budget cuts in East Cambridgeshire and, as a supporter of the arts in all their forms, I was feeling properly indignant at the scale and apparent political motivation for these cuts. Seen in the context of the overall budget of East Cambridgeshire, £70,000 is a miniscule saving, but in the already meagre arts budget is a severe blow.
I then turned to page 11, where I found the story about the unveiling of the much-derided 'sluice' sculpture. This sculpture, in the form of a sluice gate (which we can see all over the fens, and containing recorded images and sounds of a river, sited next to - wait for it - a river) was funded by East Cambridgeshire to the extent of £27,000. It cost an estimated £127,000 in total, of which, according to the artist, £42,000 was spent on consultation.
Does ADeC not see how it makes itself an easy target by pursuing such absurd and costly projects?
We would all like a lively and creative arts programme in East Cambridgeshire, and to see good projects put in jeopardy and such easy ammunition provided to those who see no value in such things is truly depressing.
You may also want to watch:
MICHAEL EDWARDS, Victoria Street, Littleport
- 1 100mph, 20-minute police pursuit ends with a crash – and later with jail
- 2 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 3 Jail for paedophile who booked hotel to abuse three children
- 4 Man drove round campsite 'like a rally driver' after argument
- 5 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 6 Christmas lights switch-on event cancelled over 'Covid uncertainty'
- 7 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 8 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
- 9 Perfect end for captain Malvin after regional final glory
- 10 Boris offers MP Lucy Frazer new role in reshuffle