Art is not just for art’s sake
THERE has been much comment about the latest piece of art. Here are a few facts. The lack of public art, particularly on the riverside, was identified in a Health Check of Ely a few years back. Of the £127k for the project, the piece and its associated de
THERE has been much comment about the latest piece of art.
Here are a few facts.
The lack of public art, particularly on the riverside, was identified in a Health Check of Ely a few years back.
Of the £127k for the project, the piece and its associated development costs etc. accounted for £85k.
You may also want to watch:
The balance was spent on art related community and educational activities which benefited, among others, considerable numbers of young people.
A number of options were considered and explored over a long period by a representative group of stakeholders in consultation with many organisations before the end product.
- 1 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 2 Throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 3 Dispersal order to tackle aggressive begging, street drinking and thefts
- 4 Residents ‘left without a voice’ over anti-social car park behaviour
- 5 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 6 Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 7 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 8 Boat club president inspires students days after race
- 9 Freemasons make cash donation to support hospital cancer patients
- 10 Open-air museum due to reopen as lockdown eases
The money came from:
n The Arts Council, a national body which allocates money given to it by national government, which unless national government policy changes cannot be spent on anything other than arts related (so Ely may as well have some of it);
n A very small part of the massive planning gain monies given to the district council under section 106 by housing developers, which was similarly allocated to only arts-related projects (the rest goes to education, transport, infrastructure etc.);
n £2,000 from the City of Ely Perspective, the source of which was the now defunct national body, the Countryside Agency, as part its Market Town Initiative project grant to Ely of £250,000.
Chair, City of Ely Perspective