Art is not just for art’s sake
THERE has been much comment about the latest piece of art. Here are a few facts. The lack of public art, particularly on the riverside, was identified in a Health Check of Ely a few years back. Of the £127k for the project, the piece and its associated de
THERE has been much comment about the latest piece of art.
Here are a few facts.
The lack of public art, particularly on the riverside, was identified in a Health Check of Ely a few years back.
Of the £127k for the project, the piece and its associated development costs etc. accounted for £85k.
The balance was spent on art related community and educational activities which benefited, among others, considerable numbers of young people.
A number of options were considered and explored over a long period by a representative group of stakeholders in consultation with many organisations before the end product.
- 1 Taxi firm introduce ‘hangover recovery kits’ during Christmas party season
- 2 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 3 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
- 4 Council's plea to protect East Cambs from Covid-19 this Christmas
- 5 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 6 'She will be sorely missed' - Rev Teresa retires
- 7 New-look girls' team bolstered on and off the pitch
- 8 Air cadet Rory given fitting farewell after loyal service
- 9 Busy road near RAF Lakenheath reopens after five-vehicle crash
- 10 Therapy dogs' ‘meet and greet’ in Ely raises £130 for charity
The money came from:
n The Arts Council, a national body which allocates money given to it by national government, which unless national government policy changes cannot be spent on anything other than arts related (so Ely may as well have some of it);
n A very small part of the massive planning gain monies given to the district council under section 106 by housing developers, which was similarly allocated to only arts-related projects (the rest goes to education, transport, infrastructure etc.);
n £2,000 from the City of Ely Perspective, the source of which was the now defunct national body, the Countryside Agency, as part its Market Town Initiative project grant to Ely of £250,000.
Chair, City of Ely Perspective