An example of everyday democracy
UNFORTUNATELY, Brian Ashton and his Conservative colleagues do not seem to appreciate there is no overall control on the district council. No committee is controlled by a single party. If two groups combine, as the independents and Lib Dems did recently
UNFORTUNATELY, Brian Ashton and his Conservative colleagues do not seem to appreciate there is no overall control on the district council.
No committee is controlled by a single party. If two groups combine, as the independents and Lib Dems did recently at the Environment and Transport Committee, when discussing the car park, their combined strength will carry the day.
As the extension to the Fore Hill car park had not previously been discussed, no one had been authorised to approach the cathedral on behalf of the council.
Other ideas for car parking were, in fact, being discussed within the council at the time. The horrified reaction, both locally and nationally, indicates that Getty promise has not been forgotten. If the Cresswells car park is under-used and liable to flooding, should we not improve it and negotiate and extension to the lease?
You may also want to watch:
Brian Ashton has many ideas, some good, others less so. None of them become council policy until they have been discussed and a vote has been taken. In a hung council, that is how democracy works.
JEREMY FRIEND SMITH
- 1 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 2 City’s first Asian grocery store coming to market place
- 3 Fire crews tackling woodland blaze carried pump and equipment 200 metres
- 4 Popular food delivery service Deliveroo launches in city this week
- 5 Throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 6 Transformation of empty offices into luxury flats well under way
- 7 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 8 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 9 Residents ‘left without a voice’ over anti-social car park behaviour
- 10 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
District councillor (Ely South)