Alarned At Proposals To Close Arts Projects In Ely
I WAS alarmed to discover this week that there is a proposal to end the partnership between ADeC and ECDC, which could lead to the closure of Ely Cinema and the Babylon Gallery and the loss of vital arts projects with young people in the area.At a time w
I WAS alarmed to discover this week that there is a proposal to end the partnership between ADeC and ECDC, which could lead to the closure of Ely Cinema and the Babylon Gallery and the loss of vital arts projects with young people in the area.
At a time when Ely is striving to be seen as more than just a satellite town to Cambridge it's worrying that something which provides so much cultural nourishment and makes Ely such an attractive place to live could be ended.
Ely Cinema provides an excellent and diverse programme of films in a lovely setting. If it closes residents will be forced to travel to Cambridge or Peterborough, which not only adds to their carbon footprint but takes business away from the waterfront area in Ely.
The Babylon Gallery is equally as important to the thriving arts scene in Ely. As someone who works in the creative industries I find it an inspiring place to spend time; and as a mum I welcome the fact that it makes art so accessible to young people of the area.
You may also want to watch:
I would urge councillors to re-think this proposal.
- 1 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 2 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 3 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 6 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 7 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 8 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 9 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 10 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road