Act before it’s too late
I sit on several committees, and with other members and citizens have been considering the future of the City of Ely. Most people will be aware of the increased population Ely has enjoyed over years past, but not so many think about what Ely will be like
I sit on several committees, and with other members and citizens have been considering the future of the City of Ely.
Most people will be aware of the increased population Ely has enjoyed over years past, but not so many think about what Ely will be like in five years' time or even 10 years. Most people think the traffic is bad now and that it is difficult to find somewhere to park; I can assure you that things are going to get worse in the years ahead.
Any councillor is branded as a heretic by the Liberal Democrats for forward-thinking. At any suggestion of evolution their anti-progress publicity machine moves into top gear. They will accuse all and everyone who wants to consider the options as monsters trying to destroy Ely. They are against everything and for nothing. What they don't realise is that if nothing is done, Ely will become a nightmare place to live and could implode.
Why-oh-why do we have to wait until it is almost too late to try to do something constructive for the future?
You may also want to watch:
It is about time the people who live in the city now are treated as important, instead of the people who used to live here. What this means is, history is important, but the future is really more important.
Progress will happen regardless of the Liberal Democrats behaving like King Canute who failed to stop the tide and proved that natural forces will not be held back.
- 1 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 2 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 3 Everything you need to know about Mad Hatters eco festival
- 4 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 5 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 6 Second World War and SAS hero remembered with new street signs
- 7 Footballer hopes Wembley 'dream' can bolster Cambridge career
- 8 Ely named the UK’s most baby-friendly location
- 9 Nostalgic throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 10 Elections 2021: Polling Day across Cambridgeshire
Seems to me that Brian Ashton is in danger of being tarred and feathered by the Liberal Democrats for just having ideas, which seem to be in short supply from them.
Let's get rid of the emotions and hysteria, stop throwing darts at each other and have a sensible look at the options, debate them rationally and plan for the future.