A seat left spare
LAST Thursday, the Soham Town Forum held its annual open meeting in the community lounge at Lodeside. I m a believer in the forum because it means the people of Soham can find out what is being done on their behalf. Unfortunately, our forum seems to have
LAST Thursday, the Soham Town Forum held its annual open meeting in the community lounge at Lodeside. I'm a believer in the forum because it means the people of Soham can find out what is being done on their behalf.
Unfortunately, our forum seems to have lost its way a bit. Instead of calling random planners from Ely to explain some of their more bizarre edicts, which is what I understand happens at Ely's equivalent, the Perspective, we get reports of various pet parochial schemes relevant to those involved, but of little interest to the town at large.
If evidence of the forum's relevance (or lack of it) to the people of Soham is needed you only have to look at the turn-out at the open meeting. About a dozen people without an axe to grind turned up, and at least half of them were either councillors or prospective councillors who may or may not show their faces again after the elections.
Another indicator of the high esteem that those involved hold the forum in, is the fact that not one nomination was received for any of the offices of the organisation. Also, none of those present were prepared to stand as secretary, or even minutes secretary. Yes, I hold my hand up, I wasn't prepared to stand, either, but I have an excuse.
You may also want to watch:
Until the Forum becomes relevant to the majority of the people of Soham there will be a spare seat at each meeting - mine.
- 1 20 travelling families park illegally at rugby club
- 2 Driver escapes injury after A14 lorry fire
- 3 Hauliers face Covid and Brexit HGV driver shortage
- 4 Club shuts its doors after illegal encampment spotted
- 5 Glamping site granted drinks licence despite neighbours' protests
- 6 Family farmers win court case against oat milk giants
- 7 Former deputy mayor wants to move Newmarket to Cambridgeshire
- 8 White van driver sought after Passat overturns
- 9 Councillors praised for 'tireless' illegal encampment work
- 10 East Cambs could be getting five new walking routes