A friendly place
DURING July, we were touring East Anglia. While in Cambridge, we attempted to visit relatives in Thetford. Leaving Cambridge at around 10.30am, we were very soon caught in gridlocked traffic, the A14 having been closed due to an incident. We tried several
DURING July, we were touring East Anglia. While in Cambridge, we attempted to visit relatives in Thetford.
Leaving Cambridge at around 10.30am, we were very soon caught in gridlocked traffic, the A14 having been closed due to an incident. We tried several alternative routes, all to no avail. Some three hours after leaving Cambridge we arrived in Ely, tired, thirsty and needing to find some toilets.
The notice on the car park stated parking was free, most unusual in our experience, however, two lovely local ladies confirmed that we could park free for 23 hours, they also directed us to the nearest toilets. These also were free and immaculately clean. We then went in search of refreshment.
We then found a pub with a sign 'You are welcome to eat your picnic in our garden providing you purchase drinks from the bar' - very different to what we have experienced, but very welcoming. Unfortunately we were unable to avail ourselves on this occasion.
Near the cathedral, there was a tea room. By now we were looking quite travel weary, but we were greeted by an assistant who understood our situation and was most apologetic that we would have to share a table. Consequently we shared with a local lady who was very friendly and we enjoyed a nice lunch.
We would like to thank all the people we met, hopefully some may recognise themselves, and to Ely itself for being so pleasant and welcoming.
- 1 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 2 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 3 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 4 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 5 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 6 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 7 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 8 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 9 'Farmgate' report leaks reveal concerns over Manor Farm tenancy
- 10 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
HELEN and DEREK PELLATT