Wood-burning stove causes chimney blaze

08:57 09 May 2014

Archant

Firefighters were called to a chimney fire in Burwell on Thursday night.

A crew from Burwell arrived in Newmarket Road at about 9.24pm to find a wood burner alight in the lounge of a two storey property measuring 10m by 8m.

Firefighters extinguished the fire and removed the wood burner from the premises.

Crews returned to their stations by 11.45pm.The cause of the fire was accidental.

A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “Please ensure you have your chimney swept and brickwork inspected at least once a year as this will help to prevent a chimney fire.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ely Standard visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ely Standard staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ely Standard account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

11:00
Aspiring archers invited to pick up a bow at weekend taster

Archery GB is encouraging anyone looking to try out a new sport to pick up a bow at Peacock Archers in Bottisham, Cambridge this weekend.

09:39
Metal on metal hip implant patients take their battle to the High Court

British patients taking legal action against defective metal on metal hip implants made by Johnson & Johnson have been praised by women injured by a medical device made by the same health care giant.

Yesterday, 11:00
Waterbeach Primary School pupils in their newly-refurbished library.

Pupils at a primary school in Waterbeach are tucking into their favourite books in a new-look library thanks to a local housing and care provider.

Yesterday, 10:56
Top notch: food businesses celebrating at Fenland Hall

Food businesses that are awarded high scores for their hygiene standards under a nationally recognised scheme should do more to publicise their success.

Most read stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ely Standard e-edition E-edition
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up