Wood-burning stove causes chimney blaze

PUBLISHED: 08:57 09 May 2014 | UPDATED: 08:57 09 May 2014

Archant

Firefighters were called to a chimney fire in Burwell on Thursday night.

A crew from Burwell arrived in Newmarket Road at about 9.24pm to find a wood burner alight in the lounge of a two storey property measuring 10m by 8m.

Firefighters extinguished the fire and removed the wood burner from the premises.

Crews returned to their stations by 11.45pm.The cause of the fire was accidental.

A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “Please ensure you have your chimney swept and brickwork inspected at least once a year as this will help to prevent a chimney fire.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ely Standard visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ely Standard staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ely Standard account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Yesterday, 17:25

Nineteen homes are to go ahead at Chettisham following approval by East Cambs District Council.

A personal reaction as a resident to the application for up to 46 houses by Manor Oak Homes for Mr J and Mrs M Eade regarding land south of Main Street, Witchford.

10:28

I thought that I would give an update on my letter from two months ago, about pensioner Maureen Saxby, who was disgracefully left without gas for heating and water during one of the year’s coldest weeks.

Yesterday, 12:53

Ely Eel Festival is under way – and 14 teams took part today in the first event for local businesses.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ely Standard e-edition E-edition
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter