Tumble dryer fire breaks out in city pub

13:50 10 February 2014

Archant

A tumble dryer caught fire in a pub in Ely’s city centre on Saturday.

Firefighters from Ely and Littleport were called to the Royal Standard, in Fore Hill, at about 7.15am.

Firefighters arrived to find a tumble dryer on fire in the building. Wearing breathing apparatus they extinguished it using a hose reel and a carbon dioxide extinguisher.

The cause of the fire was accidental and there were no casualties reported.

The following evening, firefighters from Ely were again in action, this time attending to a chimney fire in Pymore Lane, Pymoor, at about 10.19pm.

They extinguished the blaze using chimney rodding and used a thermal imaging camera to check for hotspots.

A fire service spokesman said: “Please ensure that you get your chimney swept and the brickwork inspected at least once a year. This will help to prevent a chimney fire.”

0 comments

More news stories

Chairman of govenors Ben Gibbs and principal Catherine Jekinson-Dix have both resigned.

The entire governing body of Ely College was dissolved at a special meeting on Thursday – hours before the principal and two vice principals also announced they were leaving.

Yesterday, 15:36
Catherine Jenkinson-Dix and some of her team in 2013 discussing some of the college's achivements with Ely Standard Editor John Elworthy

The principal of Ely College has stepped down with immediate effect – along with her two vice principals- in the wake of a damning Ofsted report.

Yesterday, 16:03

As a parent having two children, now 27 and 25 years-old, who have gone through Ely College in the times where Ely’s reputation was somewhat poor, I am saddened that now Ely College will go through uncertain times.

Yesterday, 15:29
Evelyn Forde has taken charge at Ely College.

The academy trust which oversees Ely College has announced Evelyn Forde as the new principal.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ely Standard e-edition today E-edition