Tumble dryer fire breaks out in city pub

PUBLISHED: 13:50 10 February 2014 | UPDATED: 13:50 10 February 2014

Archant

A tumble dryer caught fire in a pub in Ely’s city centre on Saturday.

Firefighters from Ely and Littleport were called to the Royal Standard, in Fore Hill, at about 7.15am.

Firefighters arrived to find a tumble dryer on fire in the building. Wearing breathing apparatus they extinguished it using a hose reel and a carbon dioxide extinguisher.

The cause of the fire was accidental and there were no casualties reported.

The following evening, firefighters from Ely were again in action, this time attending to a chimney fire in Pymore Lane, Pymoor, at about 10.19pm.

They extinguished the blaze using chimney rodding and used a thermal imaging camera to check for hotspots.

A fire service spokesman said: “Please ensure that you get your chimney swept and the brickwork inspected at least once a year. This will help to prevent a chimney fire.”

0 comments

More news stories

Yesterday, 13:20

Pet lovers warmed to the story of the cat who returned to his Ely home battered and bruised and with a hairline fracture in his jaw by raising £3,000 to fund his recovery.

Yesterday, 13:59

Two lanes of the A14 east bound near Exning, Newmarket, were closed off earlier today when a tanker crashed, came off the road, and sent diesel spilling out onto the roadside.

Yesterday, 13:40

AmeyCespa is claiming community support for its proposals to build a £200 million energy-from-waste plant on a 12 acre site at Waterbeach.

Yesterday, 12:29

Oliver Cromwell’s historical connections with Ely and Cambridgeshire are still alive and well as it’s been revealed that Oliver was the most popular name for a baby boy in the last 12 months.

Most read stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ely Standard e-edition E-edition
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter