October 31 2014 Latest news:
Thursday, September 4, 2014
The chairman of Littleport Leisure Centre has moved to calm fears that facilities could be lost when the village’s new secondary school is built.
Eluned Santos said the leisure centre’s board of trustees had been “alarmed at the rumours” circulating about the future of the leisure centre in light of plans to build a new secondary and special school at Camel Road.
Uncertainty surfaced last month when Littleport parish councillor Sue Kerridge said Cambridgeshire County Council should pay for its own land on which to build the schools and not take up sports pitches and fields which belong to the leisure centre and the village.
Cllr Kerridge said she is in favour of building the new secondary, primary and special schools in the village but believes the leisure facilities need to be protected.
But Mrs Santos said “no agreement” had been reached with the county council and that there was plenty of time for villagers to ask questions.
She said: “The board of trustees of Littleport Leisure Community Centre are alarmed at the rumours being circulated about the future of the centre in relation to the building of the new schools in Littleport.
“We want to assure members of the centre, residents of Littleport and parish councillors that we are endeavouring to ensure the best possible long term facilities for Littleport with no loss of current facilities and services.
“At present there are no agreements and we are still in discussions about the centre’s future. There is no ‘done deal’ as we hear being expressed.
The two new schools, planned to open in Camel Road in 2016, will be run by the Greenwood Dale Academy Trust
Mrs Santos added: “The meeting in September will be an opportunity for Greenwood Dale Trust to present their plans for the schools, offering an opportunity for residents to ask questions about the schools and discuss those plans.
“Therefore this is a real chance for people to receive solid information about the future schools.”