Saga around disused builder’s yard set to continue after landowner lodges another appeal

08:41 16 June 2014

Hod Hall Lane, Haddenham

Hod Hall Lane, Haddenham

Archant

The owner of a disused builder’s yard in Haddenham which has been at the centre of a planning battle for six years has appealed to the Planning Inspectorate for a second time.

A former builder’s yard, in Hod Hall Lane, has been at the centre of a row between residents of the village and developers since 2008, when a planning application to turn the land into traveller pitches was turned down for the first time.

The owner of the yard, M Ruszkiewicz, saw subsequent plans to turn the land into traveller pitches turned down on a further two occasions before he finally won permission to build three traveller pitches on appeal to the Planning Inspectorate back in March, last year.

Just months after winning his battle, Mr Ruskiewicz had a change of heart and applied instead for permission to build four open-market houses on the land.

In his plans, Mr Ruszkiewicz acknowledged that the traveller pitches had been unpopular with neighbours and said that the half-acre site would be home to four ‘cottage style’ homes complete with parking spaces instead.

At a meeting of East Cambridgeshire District Council’s planning committee back in December, however, councillors opted to refuse the homes plans and now Mr Ruskiewicz is appealing for a second time.

The appeal will be heard by Jonathan Alden, who is inviting members of the public to make comment on the application before the July 10 deadline.

Mr Alden will then visit the site and subsequent hearing on August 10. A decision is expected in the autumn.

Write to Jonathan Alden, the Planning Inspectorate, 2/09 Wing, Temple Quay House, 2 The Square, Bristol, BS1 6PN.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ely Standard visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ely Standard staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ely Standard account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Yesterday, 10:59
Undated handout photo issued by Cambridgeshire Police of Deborah Steel. Photo: Cambridgeshire Police/PA Wire

Police are excavating an area of the patio outside the Royal Standard pub, in Ely, today as part of the ongoing investigation into the disappearance of former landlady Deborah Steel.

Yesterday, 08:43
Ely Museum

Ely Museum has “ambitious plans” for expansion in the coming years, the City of Ely Council says.

Yesterday, 17:32
Clive Howard.

A “sexual predator” who raped a student in a Norwich car park and admitted a series of attacks on women spanning almost 30 years has been sentenced to life in prison.

Yesterday, 16:23
Margaret Bodger

An 80-year-old woman from King’s Lynn is missing and police believe she may be in the Wisbech or Peterborough area.

Most read stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ely Standard e-edition today E-edition