No trace of Corrie four weeks into fresh search and police have still not found any relevant rubbish

PUBLISHED: 09:48 19 November 2017 | UPDATED: 14:33 19 November 2017

Corrie McKeague went missing after a night out in Bury St Edmunds in September last year. Pictures: CONTRIBUTED

Corrie McKeague went missing after a night out in Bury St Edmunds in September last year. Pictures: CONTRIBUTED

Archant

Specialist officers searching a landfill for missing RAF airman Corrie McKeague have still found any rubbish dated from when the 23-year-old went missing – nearly a month since the hunt restarted.

Police began the fresh search on Monday, October 23. Picture: JOE GIDDENS/PA WIREPolice began the fresh search on Monday, October 23. Picture: JOE GIDDENS/PA WIRE

The fresh search for Corrie at the landfill site in Milton, Cambridgeshire, resumed on Monday, October 23, with officers concentrating on an area of cell 22, which was close to the original 20-week hunt for the RAF gunner.

The timescale given for the new search was four to six weeks, but Suffolk police says it is reviewing its progress on a “week-by-week” basis.

Corrie went missing on September 24 last year after a night out in Bury St Edmunds. He was last seen on CCTV at 3.24am near a loading area behind Greggs, known as the horseshoe.

A Suffolk Constabulary spokesman said: “As of the end of Friday, November 16, the search team have sifted through over 1260 tonnes of waste.

Nicola Urquhart, mother of Corrie McKeague. Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWNNicola Urquhart, mother of Corrie McKeague. Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN

“Progress by the search team is being reviewed on a week-by-week basis.

“A bulldozer has been bought on site in this past week to assist and lighting has also been on site since the beginning of the search.

“The team are currently finding material dated from around September 15-19, 2016. Nicola and Martin have both been kept updated as the search has progressed.”

The spokesman added that no decision has yet been made regarding any further searches should the current one yield no trace of the airman.

Nicola Urquhart, left, with her son Corrie McKeague. Picture: MCKEAGUE FAMILYNicola Urquhart, left, with her son Corrie McKeague. Picture: MCKEAGUE FAMILY

Posting on the Facebook group Find Corrie, Corrie’s mother Nicola Urquhart said: “The search continues at the landfill. So far they haven’t found anything that can be connected to Corrie.

“They are now bringing in a bulldozer to move the searched rubbish, and I have been assured that this will have no negative impact on the quality of the searching but will speed the process up.

“For this I am incredibly grateful as it is not easy waiting each day for a possible call.

“They have still not found any rubbish from the time Corrie disappeared, it is still earlier dates up to September 18.”

Last month, an independent review of Suffolk police’s investigation into the search for Corrie found it was “thorough, methodical and detailed” and that he is most likely to be in the landfill they are currently searching.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ely Standard visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ely Standard staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ely Standard account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

A former Bury St Edmunds man accused of sexually assaulting three schoolgirls more than two decades ago has been cleared by a jury.

Smoke fills King’s Lynn High Street as windows smash out in a huge blaze that is ripping through a charity shop.

16:18

Six rescued common seal pups made their way to the sea and into the water at Hunstanton after spending several months rehabilitating at the Sea Life Sanctuary Seal Rescue Centre.

15:06

The NHS has been given a cash boost to help ease additional “winter pressures” in the coming months.

Most read stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ely Standard e-edition E-edition

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Ely Standard weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy