House fire in March caused by cigarette was third in a week and the 26th in past 11 months across Cambridgeshire

PUBLISHED: 09:15 26 February 2014 | UPDATED: 09:15 26 February 2014

Wimblington Road, March, fire. Crews at the scene of a blaze which broke out in a bedroom.

Wimblington Road, March, fire. Crews at the scene of a blaze which broke out in a bedroom.

Archant

A house fire in March caused by a cigarette was the third in a week across the county and the 26th such fire in the past 11 months.

Fire chiefs are sending out stark safety warnings following the latest three fires which took place in Huntingdonshire and Fenland between last Thursday and Monday.

Group Commander Chris Parker, head of community safety at Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Fires in the home like these, started by the careless actions of smokers, can be easily avoided.

“Luckily, no one involved in these incidents has been hospitalised, however, the story could have ended very differently as a fire started by a cigarette can tear through a home within minutes.”

In 2012/13, there were 27 accidental fires in the home in Cambridgeshire caused by smoking, which resulted in eight casualties either being taken to hospital or checked at the scene by paramedics.

Between April 1, 2013, and February 24, 2014, there have been 26 accidental fires in the home in Cambridgeshire caused by smoking which resulted in two fire deaths, and six casualties either being taken to hospital or checked by paramedics.

Mr Parker said: “Never leave a lit cigarette unattended is the golden rule, and always make sure you dispose of hot ashes carefully. If you smoke when tired, or after drinking alcohol, the risk of falling asleep with a hot cigarette in your hand is high so never smoke in a chair if you think you may doze off, and never smoke in bed. “At all of the incidents in the past week, residents thankfully had a working smoke alarm which alerted them to the fire. Residents should make sure they have a correctly fitted, working smoking alarm, tested weekly, on each floor of their house.”

0 comments

More news stories

Yesterday, 13:20

Pet lovers warmed to the story of the cat who returned to his Ely home battered and bruised and with a hairline fracture in his jaw by raising £3,000 to fund his recovery.

Yesterday, 13:59

Two lanes of the A14 east bound near Exning, Newmarket, were closed off earlier today when a tanker crashed, came off the road, and sent diesel spilling out onto the roadside.

Yesterday, 13:40

AmeyCespa is claiming community support for its proposals to build a £200 million energy-from-waste plant on a 12 acre site at Waterbeach.

Yesterday, 12:29

Oliver Cromwell’s historical connections with Ely and Cambridgeshire are still alive and well as it’s been revealed that Oliver was the most popular name for a baby boy in the last 12 months.

Most read stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ely Standard e-edition E-edition
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter