GALLERY: Eastern European ‘tenants’ quit Fenland council owned Wisbech pig sty ahead of its demolition

PUBLISHED: 16:12 14 February 2014 | UPDATED: 16:58 14 February 2014

New Bridge Lane,  Out buildings where rough sleepers are living. Picture: Steve Williams.

New Bridge Lane, Out buildings where rough sleepers are living. Picture: Steve Williams.

Archant

Foreign workers living in a former pig sty owned by Fenland Council have been ordered to leave ahead of its demolition on Monday.

New Bridge Lane,  Out buildings where rough sleepers are living. Picture: Steve Williams. New Bridge Lane, Out buildings where rough sleepers are living. Picture: Steve Williams.

Up to six Eastern Europeans – including three women- have set up a make shift home in the Newbridge Lane, Wisbech, pig sty for the past year.

But now Fenland Council, who own both the buildings and adjoining land, have given them their marching orders.

“We served an eviction notice and the tenants have gone,” said a council spokesman. The spokesman was unable to say for how long the pig sty and surrounding land had been owned by the council.

Neighbour Victor Britain, 77, of New Bridge Lane, Wisbech, alerted Fenland District Council about rough sleepers living in the pigsty last month.

He said: “I feel sorry for the people who have been living there. No one should have to live like that.

“They have probably been exploited and kicked out of their previous homes. “Desperate people do desperate things.

“But after a year, enough is enough. I’m not prepared to put up with it any longer.

“They come and go at all hours of day and night and there have been altercations just outside my living room window.

“There are empty vodka bottles everywhere. When they go past the bungalow it causes my dogs to bark.”

Mr Britain has a letter from Sarah Gove, housing and communities’ manager, in which she accepted it was “a frustrating situation” to be living next door to the pig sty.

She told him officers and police had visited the site on several occasions but “despite the clear evidence of bedding and belongings and reports from you” no tenants had been found.

Her letter, dated January 14, promised to continue to the visit at different times “in order to engage with the individuals and offer alternative solutions to rough sleeping”.

Another neighbour, Bruce Bell, of New Bridge Lane, expressed sadness for the plight of the rough sleepers.

He said: “The place was not fit for pigs, let alone people. Hopefully the authorities find somewhere decent for them to live.”

0 comments

More news stories

A property developer who appealed against the refusal by planners for two homes along a narrow Ely street has won the day –but only on condition he provides future occupiers with bus and train timetables.

Salaries of senior staff to be recruited to the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority headed by Mayor James Palmer will be unveiled this week.

The father of missing Corrie McKeague blocked the entrance to the Cambridgeshire landfill site just days after police called off their search for the RAF serviceman.

Sainsbury’s has lost an appeal to try and vary delivery times of fuel to its recently open filling station – a Government inspector ruling that residents’ comfort comes first.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ely Standard e-edition E-edition
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter