June 19 2013 Latest news:
Monday, January 28, 2013
THE future of the Littleport Show is under threat unless more volunteers are prepared to help out, organisers said this week as it emerged that 2013’s show had already been cancelled.
The show had been set to return in 2012 after a year-long absence but the wet weather meant that organisers had to cancel with just weeks to go because the showground at Highfield was sodden.
The show committee had planned on holding a show again in the upcoming summer but a drop off in committee members and volunteers has once again led to the event being cancelled.
Derek Timbers, committee member, told the Ely Standard: “We haven’t given up on the show but it is just not possible for us to do it this year, it takes a lot of work and there aren’t enough of us on the committee.
“We are looking for new committee members and new ideas to help breathe a bit of life into the show, maybe change a few things and get people interested again. It pains us to have to cancel but there was just no other option.”
There are currently eight people sitting on the show committee but Mr Timbers said that about 15 were needed in order for the workload to be viable.
In previous years, thousands of people have attended the show and enjoyed a host of fun and features including stalls, crafts, shows, demonstrations and the traditional array of games and food stands.
Mr Timbers added: “It used to be that dozens of people in the village would be involved with the show but people just aren’t as involved with life locally as they used to be. We want to introduce plenty of new ideas so we can hopefully change that.”
If you would like to help out with the show, or are interested in hiring a stall at a future event, contact Mr Timbers on 07867906026.