Firefighters issue warning after barbecue spirals out of control and spreads to house

09:33 18 July 2014

Archant

Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued a reminder to East Cambs residents to be mindful of fire safety when enjoying the sun after a barbecue caused a fire in Soham on Thursday.

Two crews from Soham were called shortly before 8.30pm to a fire in Mill Corner.

A barbecue was out of control and had spread to a house. Firefighters extinguished it using hose reels and returned to their stations by 9.30pm.

The cause of the fire was accidental.

A spokesman said: “It is important residents put fire safety at the front of their minds when enjoying the warm weather.

“If you are having a barbecue, position it well away from your property, fences and foliage so that there is less chance of it spreading. Never pour accelerant on it and never leave it unattended.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ely Standard visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ely Standard staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ely Standard account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

An illegal rave was nipped in the bud last night in Chatteris – even before the sound equipment was set up.

09:30
Mepal and Witcham primary school. Friends Committee Cake break. Picture: Steve Williams.

It was sweet treats all round today as Mepal and Witchford Primary School’s friends committee held a cake break.

Yesterday, 09:30
Mobile planetarium visit Mepal and Witcham School. Picture: Steve Williams.

Children at Mepal and Witcham School learnt about space today with the help of a mobile planetarium.

Yesterday, 13:00

The planning application by East Cambs District Council (ECDC) for the partial redevelopment of Barton Road car park is confused and confusing.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ely Standard e-edition E-edition
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists