Firefighters issue warning after barbecue spirals out of control and spreads to house
09:33 18 July 2014
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued a reminder to East Cambs residents to be mindful of fire safety when enjoying the sun after a barbecue caused a fire in Soham on Thursday.
Two crews from Soham were called shortly before 8.30pm to a fire in Mill Corner.
A barbecue was out of control and had spread to a house. Firefighters extinguished it using hose reels and returned to their stations by 9.30pm.
The cause of the fire was accidental.
A spokesman said: “It is important residents put fire safety at the front of their minds when enjoying the warm weather.
“If you are having a barbecue, position it well away from your property, fences and foliage so that there is less chance of it spreading. Never pour accelerant on it and never leave it unattended.”