Father of Corrie McKeague blocks entrance to Milton landfill with campervan

PUBLISHED: 16:26 24 July 2017 | UPDATED: 10:28 25 July 2017

Corrie McKeague in a picture shared by his mother. Picture: CONTRIBUTED

Corrie McKeague in a picture shared by his mother. Picture: CONTRIBUTED

Archant

The father of missing Corrie McKeague blocked the entrance to the Cambridgeshire landfill site just days after police called off their search for the RAF serviceman.

Detective Superintendent Katie Elliott speaking at a press conference on the Corrie McKeague search.  Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN Detective Superintendent Katie Elliott speaking at a press conference on the Corrie McKeague search. Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN

A video on social media this afternoon shows Martin McKeague’s campervan barricading the entrance to the waste site in Milton, where specialist officers had been searching for 20 weeks.

Suffolk police announced on Friday it was ending the £1.2million landfill search for the missing RAF Honington man after finding no trace in some 6,500 tonnes of rubbish.

Mr McKeague, with his wife Trisha in the video, thanked Suffolk police for their efforts, but says he wants the search for his son to continue.

He told the Cambridge Evening News via Facebook: “All the facts and all the evidence lies at this landfill site. As a father, as a mother, I think you would probably do the same thing.

Nicola Urquhart, mother of Corrie McKeague. Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN. Nicola Urquhart, mother of Corrie McKeague. Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN.

“We just need them to do the right thing and continue to look for Corrie.”

A spokeswoman for Cambridgeshire police said: “We received a call at 2pm to say a caravan was blocking the road. But at 2.20pm, we were advised it had been moved.

“We have not heard anything since then.”

At a press conference on Friday, Suffolk police said it believes Corrie is in the landfill and that money was not the reason the search was being called off.

Officers search for Corrie McKeague at the Milton Landfill site in Cambridgeshire. Picture: GREGG BROWN Officers search for Corrie McKeague at the Milton Landfill site in Cambridgeshire. Picture: GREGG BROWN

The decision has angered Corrie’s mother Nicola Urquhart – a police officer in Scotland – who is said to have been getting advice on the possibility of an injunction to prevent the landfill from being filled.

Following Friday’s press conference she said: “If money is not the issue, then why are they still not searching the landfill?

“They told me that the search would be able to prove whether he was in there or not, if they have found no trace, how can they know?”

A petition has been launched in an attempt to get the search restarted, and has already collected more than 22,000 signatures.

The 38 Degrees petition, started by Kelly Morris, says on its website: “Corrie’s family and friends deserve to know if he is actually in there, after waiting weeks before starting the search, it is disgraceful that they would end the search without finding him but claiming he is in there.”

More news stories

12:41

A man who pleaded guilty to drink driving with no insurance and using a fake licence has been given a two-year ban and fined £600.

Yesterday, 16:45

An on-call firefighter based at Ely Fire Station is taking on a running challenge to raise money for charity.

Yesterday, 13:45

SE Cambs MP – and Government minister – Lucy Frazer promised to bring forward a new law to make upskirting a criminal offence.

10:42

A convicted rapist who attacked a female Cambridgeshire prison guard by grabbing her throat and choking her in his cell has had 32 months added to his sentence.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ely Standard e-edition E-edition
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Ely Standard weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy