Family forced to flee home after blaze rips through home

12:16 21 June 2012

Fire engine

Fire engine

Archant

A FAMILY of six were forced to flee their home in Wilburton after a freezer caught fire as they slept.

Fire-fighters from Sutton and Cottenham and Ely were called to the blaze at Station Road at about 12.40am

The family were already out of the home when crews arrived and the fire-fighters quickly entered the home to find a fire affecting a freezer in a utility room.

They extinguished the blaze, which is believed to have started as a result of an electrical failure, and returned to their fire stations by 1.35am.

Mike Fishpoole, watch commander at Cottenham Fire Station said: “Thankfully the family had a working smoke alarm which woke them while the fire was still small, allowing them to escape from the home safety.

“As the family were asleep some distance from the utility room when the fire happened, it is unlikely that they would have woken up so quickly, if not at all, without it.”

For further information on smoke alarms, contact your local fire station or visit www.cambsfire.gov.uk.

0 comments

More news stories

Yesterday, 15:51

A Littleport woman –who rose from being a GP receptionist to a £100,000 a year partner -has spoken of the moment her world collapsed after she ‘borrowed’ tens of thousands of pounds.

Yesterday, 16:15

A Norfolk policeman who found a £15,000 haul of historic gold coins with his metal detector has been sacked for cheating the landowner out of a share of the treasure.

Yesterday, 08:00

The manager of Tiddlywinks Pre-School in Stretham has praised “excellent staff” for helping it to achieve a second, consecutive ‘good’ rating from Ofsted.

Yesterday, 17:20

Animals caught up in a blaze or traumatic rescue stand a better chance of survival thanks to a special kit provided by a charity that is being used by all fire stations across Cambridgeshire.

Most read stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ely Standard e-edition E-edition
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter