East Cambs councillors go against officer advice and agree to 81 park homes being developed on former touring caravan site at Burwell

PUBLISHED: 14:44 19 December 2016 | UPDATED: 14:44 19 December 2016

91 mobile homes approved for Stanford Park, Weirs Drove, Burwell

91 mobile homes approved for Stanford Park, Weirs Drove, Burwell

Archant

A 12 acre touring caravan park at Burwell has been acquired by Turners Britannia Parks Ltd – owned by Paul and Winifred Day- and is to become a permanent base for 81 mobile homes.

91 mobile homes approved for Stanford Park, Weirs Drove, Burwell91 mobile homes approved for Stanford Park, Weirs Drove, Burwell

East Cambridgeshire District Council planners wanted the application refused for a site they deemed “too remote” and in an unsustainable location with insufficient drainage to cope with the number of units proposed.

However when the application came before December’s planning committee, councillors agreed to approve it, with the chairman Joshua Schumann describing it as “quite an exciting application”.

Cllr Schumann said it was a prime example of the need to look at new ways of developing properties since bungalows were not being delivered by developers.

Senior planning officer Barbara Greengrass said late information had been received from the developers reducing to 81 the number of homes proposed and she hoped at least the application could be deferred to “finalise the reasons for refusal”.

No objections were received from the parish council but seven residents argued the access is single track and could not accommodate the amount of traffic likely. They also suggested it was too large and would, effectively, create a ‘village’ the size of Reach.

“The peacefulness would be destroyed,” said one.

Councillors heard from Rebecca Peachey on behalf of the applicants who said it was no longer viable for touring caravans: occupancy level from March to September was just four per cent.

Councillor Tom Hunt noted the restriction of occupants (no under 45s) and said there would be no pressure on schools but would be on health and social services. He wanted the application to be refused for being “massively unsustainable”.

Councillor Mike Rouse said he had visited the site and admitted it needed a substantial makeover but had huge potential. He felt the site could provide desperately needed housing and he supported the application.

Councillor Bill Hunt felt the negatives carried slightly more weight; there would be no pavements on site, people would be driving down unadopted roads and the extra demands on social and adult care would be unacceptable.

But Councillor Ian Bovingdon thought it was an “innovative” use for the site: councillors voted 6 for and 3 against in favour of the application.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ely Standard visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ely Standard staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ely Standard account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Yesterday, 20:30

Almost there – and the Ely Eel weekend and food festival is just days away.

Yesterday, 10:28

Ely’s very own marathon man completed his 10th and final London Marathon yesterday.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Council leader James Palmer denied he accused retired farmer and town councillor Geoffrey Woollard of “undermining” his mayoralty campaign.

Yesterday, 13:02

Steve Barclay is set to be re-adopted in five days times as the Conservative choice to fight the June 8 election in NE Cambs.

Most read stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ely Standard e-edition E-edition
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter